MAKE WALLS TALK!
5TH GENIUS LOCI WEIMAR FESTIVAL 12-14 AUGUST 2016
For our 5 year anniversary on the weekend of 12-14 August, we invited our visitor on a nocturnal tour through the Ilmpark to experience together the special charm of this historical landscape garden and UNESCO World Cultural Heritage Site.
Genius Loci Weimar is an annual festival for site-specific audiovisual art with an emphasis on projections for facades, spaces and objects. The festival combines the historical spirit of Weimar and the contemporary technology of video mapping, a projection technique that incorporates the object in the image design, giving multi-layered dimensions to motionless objects and creating audiovisual narratives.
The winning entries of the international video mapping competition lit up the picturesque ruin of the Tempelherrenhaus, the Sternbrücke and the Stern, which featured a special installation of water screens. Near the park, a sonic dialogue between East and West could be experienced as part of the spatial audio installation at the Hafiz Goethe Memorial.
The Genius Loci Lab, the festival's audiovisual adventure playground, took place at the E-Werk close to Ilmpark and Sternbrücke. The program was varying, dynamic and diversified, with no repeated shows. In the evening, a range of audiovisual live concerts awaited the visitors at the Lichthaus. On Friday and Saturday, night owls enjoyed the Genius Loci Club in the boiler room of the E-Werk. And short film enthusiasts also had something to look forward to – our friends from backup_festival showed selected entries of 2016 near by the Thuringian Central State Archive.
...THESE WERE THE LOCATIONS 2016
- Tempelherrenhaus (video mapping projection)
- Sternbruecke (video mapping projection)
- Water Projection at Stern (video mapping projection)
- Hafiz Goethe Memorial (spatial audio installation)
- E-Werk (Genius Loci Lab - video mapping projections, light installations)
- Lichthaus, E-Werk (AV live cinema from 18-21h)
- Kesselsaal, E-Werk (Genius Loci Club)
- Thuringian Central State Archive (short film screenings from backup_festival)